This is not just any cabbage recipe. It is a southern fried cabbage recipe that uses bacon, sausage, and cajun shrimp as a flavor enhancer to really bring out the cabbage’s incredible taste. This easy, one-pot fried cabbage recipe is surely a crowd-pleaser. The best part is that not only is this cabbage full of flavor, but it is low-carb and keto-friendly as well!
For more tasty Southern classics, try my Old Fashioned Baked Macaroni and Cheese next!
Get ready to experience the best Southern fried cabbage you’ve ever had! This flavorful dish combines the perfect trio of bacon, sausage, and Cajun shrimp, resulting in a culinary masterpiece you never knew you needed.
Prepared in just one pot, this recipe is not only bursting with authentic Southern flavors, but it also offers a hearty and satisfying meal that will leave you feeling fully nourished. From the crispy bacon to the savory sausage and the spicy Cajun shrimp, each bite is a symphony of taste that will transport you straight to the heart of the South!
@onestopchop Southern Fried Cabbage and Shrimp #keto #cabbage #comfortfood #onestopchop ♬ original sound – Marky d
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cabbage: You’ll need one large head of cabbage.
- Cooking Oil: I like to use avocado oil
- Bacon: Use your favorite high-quality, thick-cut bacon for the best flavor
- Andouille sausage: You can use any sausage you prefer but andouille sausage is the best for making southern fried cabbage. Smoked sausage is also a good option.
- Uncooked shrimp: Make sure to peel and devein the shrimp
- Spices: The shrimp is cajon flavored so you will need smoked paprika, cajun seasoning, all-purpose seasoning, and lemon pepper seasoning.
- Butter: Skip the butter and add oil if you prefer, but the butter does add delicious savory flavor.
- Onions, Peppers, and Garlic Cloves: The base for any good cabbage recipe
How To Make Southern Fried Cabbage With Shrimp
Making this fried cabbage recipe is easy and can be done in one pot! Start by cooking the chopped bacon and andouille sausage until browned and crisp, and set aside. Season shrimp with cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, and lemon pepper, then cook in the skillet for 60 seconds per side. Set aside with the bacon and sausage.
Save a teaspoon of the remaining grease and add butter to the skillet. Sauté onion and bell pepper until translucent, then add minced garlic. Add chopped cabbage, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes until wilted. Mix in all purpose seasoning, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Remove lid, add bacon, sausage, and shrimp, stir, and serve over rice, with cornbread, or alone. Enjoy!
**More detailed instructions and video are listed in the recipe card below
How Long Does It Take To Fry Cabbage?
Frying cabbage in a skillet is easy and takes about 15-20 minutes to make tender, flavorful, perfectly cooked fried cabbage.
Do You Soak Cabbage Before Cooking?
Soaking cabbage before cooking is completely optional. The process of soaking helps to reduce the strong flavor of the cabbage.
Storage and Rewarming
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Rewarm your fried cabbage in the microwave or on the stovetop.
What Goes Well With Fried Cabbage?
Because this southern fried cabbage dish is made with bacon, sausage, and shrimp, it can certainly be served as a meal on its own. Of course, you can also serve it as a side dish. Here are a few dishes to enjoy with this fried cabbage:
- Smothered Turkey Wings
- Pork Chops
- Corned Beef is a classic to serve with fried cabbage
- Fried Fish
- Rice and Cornbread
I hope you enjoy this tasty Southern Fried Cabbage with Shrimp, Bacon, and Sausage!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #onestopchop, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
Southern Fried Cabbage with Shrimp
- 1 Large Head of Cabbage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- 6 Strips of Bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1 package andouille sausage (sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 lb Uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced
- 1 Red Bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons All Purpose Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add your avocado oil and cook your chopped bacon and andouille sausage until browned and crisp, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, and lemon pepper seasoning to your shrimp and toss. Then, add your shrimp to skillet and cook on each side for 60 seconds. Remove from skillet and set aside with the bacon and sausage.
- Save about a tsp of the remaining grease left from the bacon, sausage, and shrimp and add the 2 tbsp of butter. Toss in your onion and bell pepper and sauté until onion become translucent. Add your minced garlic and stir to combine.
- Next, add your chopped cabbage, turn the heat down to medium low and put a lid on your skillet. The cabbage will begin to wilt down. After about 10-12 minutes, give the cabbage and pepper mixture a good mix to combine. Add your all purpose seasoning, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and mix. Place the lid back on and cook on low for an additional 5 minutes or so for flavors to come together.
- Remove lid. Add in your bacon, sausage, and shrimp. Give it a little stir to combine everything and serve over rice, with cornbread, or alone. ENJOY!