This Marry Me Chicken recipe is tender pan fried chicken cutlets smothered in a sun dried tomato cream sauce with parmesan cheese and sautéed kale. Enjoy it as is for a keto-friendly meal, or serve delicious marry me chicken with your favorite pasta. No matter how you serve it, after just one forkful, you’ll be in love!
If you want chicken for dinner, try my One Pan Chicken and Rice recipe next.
Marry Me Chicken Dish
Marry Me Chicken or Divorce Me Chicken?! It doesn’t matter, because you NEED this recipe! No matter your relationship status, this marry me chicken breast recipe will charm the taste buds of everyone who eats it.
Find out why this recipe went viral on TikTok! And get ready for some marriage proposals or at least people clamoring for seconds!
Marry Me Chicken vs Tuscan Chicken
There are very subtle differences between the two Italian chicken dishes. Both include chicken breasts coated in a creamy sauce with sun dried tomatoes. However, Tuscan chicken is made with spinach, while marry me chicken uses kale. Marry me chicken also has a hint of spice from the red pepper flakes.
Why You’ll Love This Marry Me Chicken Recipe
- Easy One Pot Meal! I love a dish that comes together in minutes in one pan.
- A Crowd Pleaser! This is a great meal for two when celebrating an anniversary or Valentine’s Day but it’s easy to double or triple the measurements for this recipe to make it family-friendly.
- Budget-Friendly! Made with minimal, simple ingredients, you probably already have everything you need in your own pantry, so be sure to try this one out for dinner tonight.
Marry Me Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts: Use skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half or thin sliced cutlets. You can also use boneless chicken thighs for this recipe.
- All Purpose Flour: The chicken is dredged in seasoned flour for a delicious golden crust.
- Chicken Broth: This is the base flavor of the creamy sauce. You can use a low-sodium chicken broth if necessary.
- Heavy Cream: This adds body and thickness to the sauce. Use more than the listed amount on the recipe card if you like “extra sauce.”
- Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grate the cheese instead of getting pre-shredded.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: This provides the perfect balance of sweetness and acidity. If you absolutely can’t get sun dried tomatoes for this recipe, try roasted red peppers as a replacement.
- Kale: Adding some leaf greens makes this dish more nutritious. Spinach works as a replacement.
- Minced Garlic: Use fresh garlic cloves over the canned stuff for a strong garlicky flavor.
- Seasoning: I generously season this dish with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning (which includes dried basil, dried oregano, dried rosemary, dried thyme, and dried marjoram), and red pepper flakes.
- Avocado Oil: This good fat is an excellent source of fatty acids. It also has a higher smoke point than olive oil, making it ideal for pan frying chicken.
- Butter: Because this dish is so well seasoned, salted butter isn’t necessary. Use unsalted butter so you can control the sodium.
How to Make Marry Me Chicken
Season and Coat Chicken
In a bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and Italian seasoning. Use about 1 teaspoon of each besides the salt, pepper, and cayenne (about 1/2 teaspoon). Use a shallow dish to coat both sides of the chicken in seasoned flour and set aside.
Fry Chicken Cutlets
In a large skillet over medium high heat, add your avocado oil and unsalted butter. Once butter is melted, fry your cutlets on each side for approx 4-5 minutes. Once golden brown and reached a temp of 165F, remove and set aside.
Sauté Veggies & Make Sauce
Turn heat down in skillet to medium low and add your butter and minced garlic. Cook about 60 seconds until fragrant and add your kale. Sauté for 2-3 minutes before adding your sun dried tomatoes.
Sauté an additional 1-2 minutes, then deglaze with chicken broth and heavy cream. Be sure to keep stirring to ensure everything is well incorporated. Bring to a slight boil, reduce heat to low and allow to low simmer 5-7 minutes to reduce and thicken.
Next, add parmesan cheese, taste to see how much seasoning you want to add, and add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Adjust seasoning to your preference.
Add Chicken to Pan
Place chicken back in skillet once seasoned properly and cover with cream sauce. Serve over pasta of your choice, rice, veggies, or even mashed potatoes…ENJOY!
- Crock Pot: For a hands off approach, add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker for up to 4 hours.
- Add-Ins: For more salty, savory flavor, top marry me chicken with crumbled bacon.
- Oven Baked: Sear the chicken in a cast iron skillet, then remove it. Make the sauce then add the chicken back to the pan and continue cooking it in the oven.
- Cheese: Boursin is a soft creamy cheese that could replace the parmesan in this recipe. It adds a delicious tangy flavor.
What to Serve with Marry Me Chicken
- Pasta: Serve it over a bed of your favorite pasta. I suggest tortellini, egg noodles, gnocchi, fettuccine, or fusilli noodles.
- Vegetables: Round out this one pan meal by tossing in some mushrooms or broccoli.
- Rice: Some white rice would sop up that sauce nicely. For a healthy alternative, try cauliflower rice.
Tips for the Best Marry Me Chicken
- If you’re having trouble getting the flour to stick to the chicken, add 1/2 a teaspoon of avocado oil to each chicken breast then coat it again.
- Grate your own parmesan. Pre-shredded cheese contains a waxy coating that prevents the cheese from clumping. The anti-clumping agent also makes it harder to melt the cheese down into a silky smooth consistency.
- For a fancy presentation, garnish with fresh chopped basil.
Store leftover marry me chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When you want to reheat, microwave or warm up over medium heat on the stove. The sauce thickens as it sits in the fridge so you might need to add a splash of chicken stock to the sauce.
What’s the best way to cook chicken breast?
If overcooked, chicken breasts can dry out. For tender chicken breasts, pan fry, roast, or grill.
What is it called Marry Me Chicken?
Not to be mistaken with engagement roast chicken, some say this chicken dinner is so good that it’ll make you want to marry the dish or the person who made it!
I hope you enjoy making this easy Marry Me Chicken recipe! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more Internet Chef content!
Marry Me Chicken
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts sliced in half or thin sliced cutlets
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1½ cups Heavy Cream more if you like “extra sauce”
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese freshly grated
- ½ cup Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 cup Chopped Kale
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter divided
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and Italian seasoning. Use about 1 tsp of each besides the salt, pepper, and cayenne (about 1/2 tsp.). Coat chicken in seasoned flour and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add your avocado oil and unsalted butter. Once butter is melted, fry your cutlets on each side for approx 4-5 minutes. Once golden brown and reached a temp of 165F, remove and set aside.
- Turn heat down in skillet to medium low and add your butter and minced garlic. Cook about 60 seconds until fragrant and add your kale. Sauté for 2-3 minutes before adding your sun dried tomatoes. Sauté an additional 1-2 minutes, then deglaze with chicken broth and heavy cream. Be sure to keep stirring to ensure everything is well incorporated.
- Bring to a slight boil, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer 5-7 minutes to reduce andthicken.
- Next, add parmesan cheese, taste to see how much seasoning you want to add, and addItalian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Adjust seasoning to your preference. Place chicken back in skillet once seasoned properly and cover with cream sauce. Serve over pasta of your choice, rice, veggies, or even mashed potatoes…ENJOY!