Creamy chicken and rice is an easy one pan meal of juicy, crispy chicken thighs simmered with rice, cream, spinach, and sun dried tomatoes. Weeknight dinner doesn’t get tastier or more simple than this!
For more delicious chicken recipes, try this mouthwatering Marry Me Chicken recipe.
Creamy Chicken and Rice
Creamy chicken and rice is one of my favorite weeknight dinners. Tender chicken and fluffy rice are infused with heavy cream, aromatics, and veggies for a well-balanced meal that the whole family will enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This One Pan Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Quick & Easy! After a long day, the last thing you want to do is pull out a bunch of pots and pans to make dinner. This one pan meal comes together in just ___ minutes! Chances are you already have everything you need to make the best creamy chicken and rice.
- Delicious Comfort Food! Served warm and creamy, this is a hearty dish that will have you feeling cozy on the coldest of days.
- Super Versatile! All you need is chicken, rice, heavy cream, and some veggies, but each can be swapped out for something else.
Creamy Chicken and Rice Ingredients
- Chicken Thighs: Keep the bone in and skin on because that gives the chicken all its flavor. You can use chicken breasts but they tend to dry out in recipes like this. Alternatively, dark meat stays moist.
- Seasoning: I use paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Italian seasoning would be a good addition too.
- Avocado Oil: I use this oil because it has a higher smoking point than olive oil or butter.
- Garlic Cloves: Mince fresh garlic for the best flavor.
- Bell Pepper: For a pop of color, spice, and fresh flavor.
- Onion: I prefer yellow onions but white onions will work too.
- Long Grain Rice: Jasmine rice and basmati rice are perfect but any kind will do. Just avoid any quick-cooking rice like Minute Rice or Rice-a-Roni. Those will end up cooking too fast and become mushy.
- Chicken Broth: This enhances the flavor of the chicken and cooks the rice.
- Heavy Cream: The base of the creamy sauce.
- Baby Spinach: A nutritious addition to this meal.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: For a rich, tangy flavor.
Instructions to Make Creamy Chicken and Rice
Season & Sear Chicken Thighs
Oil and season your chicken thighs with your seasonings listed. In a large skillet over medium high heat, Sear your chicken, skin side down for 6-8 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Sauté Aromatics & Vegetables
In that same skillet, add your remaining oil and your minced garlic. Cook until fragrant, approx 1 minute. Add peppers, onions, and sundried tomatoes and cook until tender.
Simmer Chicken and Rice
Stir in rice, chicken broth, heavy cream, then stir. Allow to come to a boil and reduce heat to low. Stir in spinach and return chicken to skillet. Cook covered an additional 20 minutes. Chicken must reach an internal temp of 165 degrees F.
Remove from heat and let sit covered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add Cheese: It’s already creamy but why kick it up a notch and make it cheesy too? Try adding shredded parmesan cheese or another sharp hard cheese.
- Other Veggies: Add peas, broccoli, or green beans as an additional vegetable or substitute.
- Campbells Soup: Instead of heavy cream, you could use cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup
- Pasta: Not a rice fan? Try pasta instead! Just add cooked pasta to the pan with the chicken and sauce and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- One Pan Chicken and Rice Bake: Use a cast iron skillet to sear the chicken then allow the chicken and rice mixture to continue baking in the oven. It will be similar to a delicious, creamy chicken and rice casserole.
Tips for the Best Creamy Chicken and Rice
- We want creamy chicken and rice, not soupy. So if you notice the chicken is releasing a lot of juices as it cooks, drain that out before making the sauce and cooking the rice.
- For a citrusy twist, squeeze a little lemon or lime over individual servings.
- If preparing chicken and rice with brown rice, you will need more time and more chicken broth.
Store leftover one pan chicken and rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. For longer storage, put it in the freezer as soon as it cools down. It will last up to one month frozen. To defrost, let it thaw overnight in the fridge.
When reheating, add a few drops of water or chicken broth in order to loosen up the sauce. Warm it up on the stovetop or in the microwave in 1-minute intervals.
Is chicken and rice healthy?
This dish is a great source of protein and carbs. Vegetables like bell peppers, sun dried tomatoes, and spinach make it even more nutritious. But just like everything else, it should be enjoyed in moderation.
Can you add raw chicken to rice?
Yes. You can cook raw chicken with rice. However, I prefer to sear my chicken before adding the cream and rice.
Why is my chicken and rice mushy?
You either overcooked the rice or used too much liquid.
Can this be made in advance?
Yes. this is the perfect make ahead meal. After its cooked, let it cool before storing it in an airtight container or freezer safe container.
I hope you enjoy making this Creamy Chicken and Rice recipe! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more Internet Chef content!
Easy Creamy Chicken And Rice
- 4 Chicken Thighs bone in, skin on
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 cup Long Grain Rice
- 1½ cups Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 tbsp Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Oil and season your chicken thighs with your seasonings listed. In a large skillet over medium high heat, Sear your chicken, skin side down for 6-8 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In that same skillet, add your remaining oil and your minced garlic. Cook until fragrant, approx 1 minute. Add peppers, onions, and sundried tomatoes and cook until tender. Stir in rice, chicken broth, heavy cream, then stir. Allow to come to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Stir in spinach and return chicken to skillet. Cook covered an additional 20 minutes. Chicken must reach an internal temp of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for an additional 5 minutes.