Pan seared chicken is juicy chicken breasts broiled to crispy, cheesy, golden brown perfection in the oven. This quick and easy chicken recipe is a go-to for weeknight dinner.
For more chicken breast recipes, try our delicious Marry Me Chicken dish next.
Cheesy Pan Seared Chicken
This cheesy chicken is perfect for those who want the steakhouse vibes without the steak. It is the perfect balance of gooey, melted cheese atop juicy pan seared chicken breasts.
Savory, juicy, and creamy, there’s no dry chicken over here! Just cut into this chicken with a knife and you’ll see how tender it is. Make it a complete meal by serving it with your favorite sides or chopping this protein up and tossing it in a salad.
Why You’ll Love This Pan Seared Chicken Recipe
- Crunchy with No Flour Added! The chicken is well seasoned and then seared in a cast iron skillet. The ultra-cheesy topping has a deliciously crispy Panko crust.
- Super Quick and Easy! With a cooking time of just 20 minutes, dinner is on the table in less than a half hour.
- Great for Meal Prep! Make this chicken ahead of time and add it to salad, rice, pasta, and veggies throughout the week.
Pan Seared Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken: Use boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Ranch Dressing: This provides a slightly tangy flavor and a creamy texture. You don’t taste the ranch AT ALL, but you can replace it with heavy cream if you’d like.
- Cheese: I use parmesan cheese and Monterey jack cheese because they have a rich flavor and melt beautifully.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: This adds a delightful, and unexpected crunch. There are gluten-free panko breadcrumbs for those with a gluten allergy.
- Avocado Oil: Use this or another oil with a high smoke point for pan frying chicken. You can use vegetable oil, peanut oil, or olive oil as substitutes. Although I love butter, it’s not the best for pan-searing because it can easily burn.
- Chopped Parsley: I use this as a garnish, for a fresh pop of color and flavor.
I use a variety of seasonings and spices to create a tasty crust that carmelizes in the pan.
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Avocado Oil
How to Pan Sear Chicken
Season and Sear Chicken Breasts
Rinse and pat dry your chicken breasts with a paper towel. Then oil and season them. In a large skillet on high heat, add your chicken and sear on both sides 4-5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
Top with Cheese Sauce
In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the ranch seasoning and 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese. Top the chicken breasts with this mixture. Add your Monterey jack cheese on top of that and finish with your breadcrumbs.
Broil Cheesy Chicken
Then place your skillet into your oven at 500°F or BROIL. Broil for an additional 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned to your liking.
Remove from oven and top with remaining parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley. Finally, serve and ENJOY!
- Cheesy Chicken Pasta Bake: After pan searing the chicken, add it to a casserole dish with the cheese mixture and your favorite pasta, cooked al dente. Bake in a preheated oven set to 375°F for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Lemon Pan Seared Chicken: Before adding the cheese-ranch mixture, spritz the chicken with some lemon juice for a pop of citrusy flavor.
- Pan Seared Chicken Thighs: Although this recipe ensures the chicken breasts are tender and juicy, you may opt for dark meat instead. Keep the recipe as is but you will need an additional 1-2 minutes per side when pan searing boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
Tips for the Best Pan Seared Chicken
- For an even sear, pound the chicken breasts with a meat mallet before cooking.
- Remove excess moisture from the chicken after you rinse it so it can crisp nicely in the pan and not steam.
- When pan searing, let the chicken cook on high heat. Medium-high heat is not hot enough to get that golden brown crust we desire.
- Once the chicken is in the pan, do not touch it until you’re ready to flip it.
What to Serve with Pan Seared Chicken
- Salad: Slice the chicken and serve it in your favorite salad.
- Veggies: Round out dinner with some nutritious sides like green beans, brussels sprouts, broccoli, or asparagus. For more leafy greens packed with fiber, add spinach or kale.
- Potatoes: Keep those steakhouse vibes going and serve pan seared chicken with mashed potatoes.
- Carbs: Serve this saucy, cheesy chicken over a bed of rice, quinoa, or your favorite pasta. A cheesy chicken spaghetti would be the ultimate comfort food.
Once completely cooled, store leftover pan seared chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat by adding leftovers to a hot skillet in a preheated oven set to 350ºF. In order to prevent the chicken from drying out as it reheats, add a splash of low-sodium chicken broth.
What is the best way to cook chicken breasts?
There are so many ways to prepare chicken breasts but pan frying them in a skillet is one of the best methods.
How long does it take to sear chicken?
It takes 4-5 minutes on each side to pan sear chicken breasts.
How do you when chicken is fully cooked?
When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚F, it is done. Use a meat thermometer for accuracy. But if you don’t have one, a good visual indicator is when the juices run clear.
I hope you enjoy making this Cheesy Chicken recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #onestopchop, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen.
More Chicken Dishes To Try!
Cheesy Pan Seared Chicken
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- ½ cup Ranch Dressing
- ¾ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil
- Chopped Parsley garnish
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil
- Rinse and pat dry your chicken breasts. Then oil and season them. In a large skillet on high heat, add your chicken and sear on both sides 4-5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix your ranch seasoning and 1/2 cup of your shredded parmesan cheese. Top your chicken breasts with this mixture. Add your Monterey jack cheese on top of that and finish with your breadcrumbs.
- Place your skillet into your oven at 500F or BROIL. Broil for an additional 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned to your liking.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve and ENJOY!