Buffalo chicken wontons are loaded with tender shredded chicken breasts, zesty buffalo sauce, and three kinds of cheese for a flavorful appetizer. These crispy wonton cups are deep-fried to golden brown perfection for a delectable bite-sized treat. Serve them as an appetizer with your favorite sauce!
For more party appetizer recipes, try my Cheesesteak Egg Rolls next!
Buffalo Chicken Wontons
You have probably seen variations of buffalo chicken wonton cups listed on restaurant menus and it’s not without good reason! This tasty treat is basically buffalo chicken dip wrapped in a traditional wonton wrapper.
This is the perfect savory dish to be game-day-ready! Take a spin on a classic recipe to kick off the football season. This buffalo chicken wonton recipe will have everyone at the party reaching for more.
Bite into one and you’ll see why! The thin, flaky, crispy wonton wrapper is delicious but the center of the wonton holds all the true flavor; a tangy, spicy, cheesy, savory mix of chicken, cream cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, and buffalo sauce.
Why You’ll Love This Buffalo Chicken Wontons Recipe
- Quick and Easy! Just mix the ingredients, assemble the wontons, and fry them up. It is that simple to make this easy appetizer recipe.
- Better Than Takeout! Once you know how to make wontons at home, you can enjoy them whenever you want. These delicious bites are similar to the crab rangoon you’d get from your favorite Chinese spot but with an American spin.
- Perfect for Parties! The serving size is perfect for sharing! Whether it is game day, Super Bowl Sunday, or a holiday gathering, served on a platter with other party snacks, this appetizer will be the star of the show.
What are wontons?
Wontons are a type of Chinese dumpling, usually served with dipping sauce or placed in soup. They can be steamed, boiled, or deep-fried. They also vary in shape.
What is traditionally in a wonton?
Traditional wontons usually include a finely chopped protein (meat or seafood), green onions, and shredded cabbage. However, wontons can be filled with everything from bananas to chocolate.
Buffalo Chicken Wontons Ingredients
- Pre-Cooked Chicken: Use boneless chicken breasts or substitute them with rotisserie chicken. Either way, shred the chicken so that it will fit in the wonton wrappers.
- Wonton Wrappers: Find them in the refrigerated section of the grocery store where you’d locate egg roll wrappers and tofu.
- Cream Cheese: This balances out the spiciness of the buffalo sauce. Soften the cream cheese before mixing it with the other ingredients. Take it out of the fridge about 15 minutes before cooking so it can soften to room temperature.
- Buffalo Wing Sauce: Use your favorite brand. Make sure it says buffalo sauce and not hot sauce. Frank’s Red Hot buffalo sauce is a popular option that you can easily find in the grocery store.
- Ranch Dressing: This paired with buffalo sauce is a mouthwatering combination. Some people like blue cheese instead. Use whichever you prefer!
- Shredded Cheese: I use mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese because they melt so well. However, you can also use pepper jack cheese or Monterey jack cheese.
- Green Onions: Slice them finely. This gives the filling a fresh pop of flavor. Onions, chives, or parsley will work too.
- Seasoning: I season the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Vegetable oil: This is what I fry the wontons in.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Make the Buffalo Chicken Mixture
Prepare your frying oil by heating it to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, combine your shredded chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, cheese, and green onions until fully combined and creamy (if too thick, add more ranch, to loose, add more chicken/ cheese)
Assemble Wonton Cups
Place a wonton wrapper on a flat surface and spoon about 1 teaspoon of your mixture into the center. With all edges of the wrap, wet your fingers with water, fold triangles in, then pinch together to seal.
Fry about 1-2 minutes. They will cook fast so move around in oil to prevent burning. Place on paper towel to drain excess grease. ENJOY!
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wontons: Save some calories by putting the wontons a muffin tin (or muffin pan) in the oven instead of frying them. This healthier alternative also makes the recipe more hands-off. Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
- Air Fried Buffalo Chicken Wontons: For easier clean up, try making wonton cups in the air fryer. Use cooking spray then place them in a preheated air fryer at 400°F for about 5 minutes.
Tips for the Best Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- Do not overstuff the wonton wrappers. We don’t want them bursting at the seam or they won’t be sturdy enough for the fryer.
- Remember to water the edges of the wrappers so they stick.
- These cook quick so pay attention to the stove. They fry in less than 2 minutes.
Buffalo chicken wontons are best served immediately so they are fresh and crisp. Over time, wontons become soggy. So, if you intend to save some for later, assemble the wonton and freeze them just before the frying step.
When you are ready to fry them, the wontons can be cooked from frozen.
What’s the difference between dumplings and wontons?
Although both can be fried, steamed, or boiled, dumplings are only fried on one side, whereas wontons are immersed in oil so they are fully fried. Dumpling wrappers are also thicker than wonton wrappers and sometimes, they don’t contain filling.
Can buffalo chicken wontons be made ahead?
Assemble the wontons in advance then place a damp towel over them so they don’t dry out in the fridge. Make them within 2 days or freeze them for longer storage.
What does buffalo chicken go with?
The most common flavors to serve with buffalo chicken are ranch, blue cheese, celery, and carrot sticks.
I hope you enjoy making this Buffalo Chicken Wontons recipe! Follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more Internet Chef content!
Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breasts shredded
- 1 pack Wonton Wraps
- 8 oz Cream Cheese softened
- ½ cup Buffalo Sauce
- ¼ cup Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup Mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 Green Onions sliced
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Prepare your frying oil by heating it to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine your shredded chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, cheese, and green onions until fully combined and creamy (if too thick, add more ranch, if too loose, add more chicken/ cheese).
- Place a wonton wrapper on a flat surface and spoon about 1 teaspoon of your mixture into the center. With all edges of the wrap, wet your fingers with water, fold triangles in, and pinch together to seal.
- Fry about 1-2 minutes. They will cook fast, move around in oil to prevent burning. Place on paper towel to drain excess grease. ENJOY!