You will love these Bang Bang Salmon Bites! They are crispy bites of salmon coated in a creamy, zesty sauce. Perfect for a party appetizer or a delicious snack anytime!
About bang bang salmon
Cutting down the salmon into the perfect bite size pieces make it a great appetizer, or meal. Once you cook them up, coat them in the bang bang sauce for a super tangy and delicious meal or appetizer.
Ingredients you will need
For these bang bang salmon bites you will need:
- Salmon: grab your salmon filets and cut them down into bite sized cubes.
- Flour: the flour is the perfect breading to get that crisp on your salmon bites.
- Buttermilk: such an important ingredient because it is used as a binder for the breading.
- Seasonings: Cajun and lemon pepper seasonings add the perfect delicious flavor for your bite sized salmon.
- Bang bang sauce: this is the star of the show. You will combine sweet chili sauce and other goodness to make this addictingly delicious sauce.
How to make bang bang salmon bites
Start by adding your flour and cornmeal to a large Ziploc bag. Then whisk together your buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce to make a wet batter.
Cut the salmon filet into 1” bite size pieces. Season them well with the Cajun seasoning. Then place them in the buttermilk mixture.
Now place your salmon bites into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes up to an hour.
Now heat up your vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet to 375°F.
Add your salmon to the oil, one piece at a time, in one even layer.
Cook the salmon on each side for about 1 minute, until they are golden brown- then remove them from the skillet and set them in a bed of paper towels or a cooling rack.
Bang Bang Sauce
To make the bang bang sauce you will need to mix together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey, and hot sauce until it is fully combined.
Once the sauce is made, toss the salmon bites in it until they are fully coated. Garnish the salmon with sesame seeds and green onions to serve.
Make Salmon Bites or Salmon Strips
You can cut your salmon filet into bite size, one inch cubes to have salmon bites. Or you can cut the fillets into strips to have salmon strips.
Both salmon bites and salmon strips are extra delicious when you dip them into the bang bang sauce. You can even enjoy them bare, drizzled with your favorite hot sauce.
What is bang bang sauce?
Bang bang sauce is a popular Chinese-American dipping sauce. It is a creamy, slightly sweet and tangy sauce made with mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, Sriracha, and other ingredients.
Does frying salmon affect its health properties?
Frying salmon can affect its health properties to some extent. While salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients, frying can increase its calorie and fat content due to the added oil used in frying.
How to serve salmon bites?
You can eat salmon bites as a protein alongside sauteed vegetables, with a bed of rice, or even as a low-carb meal or snack.
Bang Bang Salmon Bites
- 20 ounce Salmon cubed or sliced into strips
- 2 teaspoon Lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- t teaspoon Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Hot sauce
- 1 large Egg beaten
- 1 cup Flour
- 1.5 cup Seasoned cornmeal
Bang Bang Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Honey optional for sweetness
- 4 teaspoons Sriracha or favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- In a large bowl or resealable bag combine your flour and seasoned cornmeal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce. Season your salmon bites/strips with the seasoning above and place in a buttermilk bath. Place in fridge for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Take your salmon from the buttermilk bath and place it in your cornmeal and flour mixture. Coat well and shake off excess, place on a plate or baking rack.
- Fill a large heavy bottom pot with vegetable oil no more than 2/3 full and heat to between 350 and 375 degrees F.
- Add your salmon to the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes total. Place on a paper towel or drying rack to drain excess oil.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey, and Frank’s Hot Sauce/Sriracha until well combined. Stir in salt and garlic powder.
- Toss your fried salmon bites in this “bang bang” sauce. Serve as an appetizer or over rice/fried rice.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, and green onion/chives. SERVE and ENJOY!