This creamy broccoli cheddar soup is the perfect recipe for a delectable night in! It is way better than Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe. The best part is, that it can be made in under 30 minutes and will be loved by your picky eaters!
What will I need for this recipe?
Broccoli – Broccoli is an extremely good source of calcium and Vitamin C! Adding this into your soup that your whole family will love is a win-win.
Cheddar – You can use mild, medium, or sharp cheddar in this recipe but be sure to shred it finely so it melts evenly into the soup. The longer the cheddar is aged for, the more prominent the flavor. If you have picky eaters then try this recipe with a mild cheddar cheese first. You can always add sharp cheddar cheese into your bowl!
Carrots – Carrots have a lot of nutrients in them which make them a good ingredient for a well-rounded meal. It will also help to give your soup its characteristic color.
Onion – In this recipe, the onions are first sautéed which gives the soup a sweeter flavor. For picky eaters, you can dice the onions finely or even puree them to hide them in the soup while still getting the flavors you want.
Garlic – Although a very simple ingredient, it is not one that you will want to overlook in this recipe! As the garlic is cooked it will give your soup a deeper nuttier flavor. I used garlic paste in this recipe so that it would melt into the soup more easily. However, you can also use minced garlic if you have this on hand.
Heavy Cream – In this recipe, I used heavy cream because it makes the soup richer and creamier. However, depending on your preference, you can also use milk. The higher the fat content in the milk or cream, the richer your soup will be!
How to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Make the soup base
Start by melting down your butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add in your onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until softened and light gold. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds if using garlic paste and about a minute if using minced garlic.
Building your soup
Add flour and whisk for about 1-2 minutes or until the flour begins to turn golden in color. Pour in the chicken stock, broccoli florets, carrots, and seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender and cooked through.
Stir in heavy creamy slowly while mixing and add in your cheddar cheese. Simmer for another few minutes until the cheese is fully melted and no lumps remain. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Serving The Soup
Serve with toasted crusty garlic bread or in a bread bowl if desired. If you are feeling like trying something different, toss in some cooked pasta and now you have a broccoli cheddar pasta dish. Serve and Enjoy!
How to store leftover Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
You can either store your leftovers in the fridge or in the freezer. If stored in an air-tight container in the fridge then it will be good for 3-5 days. Or, you can store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. I recommend storing in a freezer bag by laying it flat as it freezes. This allows you to save room in your freezer.
Can I add other add-ins?
Absolutely! Some add-ins that are favorites are chicken, bacon, sour cream, and extra cheese. You can also add in your favorite pasta to make a broccoli cheddar pasta dish!
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 TBSP Butter 1/2 Stick
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic Minced or 1 TBSP Garlic Paste
- 4 TBSP All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 TSP Kosher Salt
- 1/2 TSP Black Pepper
- 1/2 TSP Paprika
- 1/4 TSP Ground Nutmeg Optional
- 1 1/2 TSP Garlic or Herb Seasoning
- 3 Cups Broccoli Florets or 1 large head Cut into Small Pieces
- 2 Large Carrots Grated, Julienned, or Finely Chopped
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 8 OZ Grated Cheddar Cheese (mild, medium, or sharp) About 2 cups
- Melt down your butter in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened and light gold. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or until fragrant. About 30 seconds if using the paste.
- Add flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes or until the flour begins to turn golden in color. Pour in the chicken stock, broccoli florets, carrots, and seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are tender and cooked through.
- Stir in heavy creamy slowly while mixing and add your cheddar cheese. Simmer for another few minutes until the cheese is fully melted and no lumps. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with toasted crusty garlic bread or in a bread bowl if desired. If you’re feeling like trying something different, toss in some cooked pasta and not you have a broccoli cheddar pasta dish. Serve and Enjoy.
I Hope You Enjoy This Recipe!
If you try the recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think in the comments. Leave a quick review & star rating ★ below! Take pictures, tag #onestopchop, and share them with me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchen!